Migrating to Universal Credit?

Tax Credits, which are managed by HMRC, are coming to an end. These will be replaced by Universal Credit.

Universal Credit is one monthly payment for people in work, looking for work or unable to work. It brings together six older benefits and must be claimed through the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

You won’t be moved automatically. Look out for a letter called a Universal Credit Migration Notice from DWP.

DO claim Universal Credit by the deadline you are given, otherwise your benefits will stop and you could be worse off. If you live with a partner you will need to make a joint claim.

DO NOT make a claim for Universal Credit before you receive your written notice, otherwise you will not get protected entitlement and you could be disadvantaged financially.

Please contact us if you need advice, or help to make your claim.  Or find more information on the Citizens Advice website.