Donating back your Winter Fuel Allowance

Have you received your Winter Fuel Payment?

You should automatically receive a Winter Fuel Payment of between £100 and £300 if you were born on or before 5th August 1953 and you get the State Pension or another social security benefit (not Housing Benefit, Council Tax Reduction, Child Benefit or Universal Credit).If you haven’t received the payment by 15th January, you need to make your claim before 31st March.

If you are not sure how to claim or are worried about how to stay warm this winter, Kris, our Warm Homes Adviser can help.  Call him on 01799 618858 for advice on winter benefits and cold weather payments, the warm home discount scheme, energy efficiency, affordable warm and home improvement grants, switching energy suppliers and the priority services register.  Keep an eye out too for drop in advice sessions during January and February when Kris will be available to answer your queries at local libraries and community centres; details will be advertised locally and on our website. Or pick up a copy of ‘Keeping Warm in Uttlesford‘, from doctors surgeries, day centres, libraries and council offices across the district.

If you feel you can do without your winter fuel payment, perhaps consider donating it to help others in this area who are struggling. During the cold weather many elderly people are faced with the stark choice of fuel or food, and lower temperatures increase the risk of health problems such as heart attacks, strokes and bronchitis.  We will use donations to help people save money on heating costs, including access to help with insulation, understand what financial help is available and manage any fuel-related debts.